Daring Cooks' January 2010 Challenge: Satay!

>> Thursday 14 January 2010

Ehem...(clearing throat)
My last Daring Cooks' Challenge was July last year. (what a shame ssshhhh....)
Now to start the year, I want to be part of the Daring Kitchen's Daring Cooks' again. I haven't cooked/baked for quite sometime, well, you know, other than the usual dishes I make at home, but create something new, nada.

Satay? I have not tried this before. It's a Thai dish and I LOOOVVVEEED it!
Here it is: My take on Daring Cooks' January 2010 Challenge by the lovely Cuppy who chose a Thai-inspired recipe from the book -1000 Recipes by Martha Day.

Presenting, Satay Chicken!

Satay Chicken with Peanut Sauce

Satay Marinade

  • 1/2 small onion minced
  • 2 garlic cloves minced
  • 1 T ginger root grated
  • 2 T lemon juice (1 oz or 30 mls)----I used 5 calamansi/lemonsito
  • 1 T soy sauce (0.5 oz or 15 mls)
  • 1 tsp ground coriander (5 mls)
  • 1 tsp ground cumin (5 mls)
  • 1/2 tsp ground turmeric -----I don't have this, I used 1 tsp Achuete instead
  • 2 T vegetable oil (or peanut or olive oil) (30 mls) 1/2 kilo/pound of meat cut in 1 inch strips ----I used chicken breast
  • 1 tsp of salt ---not included in the original recipe, just added some, I feel like the soy didn't provide that much saltiness =) OK, fine I am a salt-y person! =)
The host of this challenge Cuppy of Cuppylicious suggested that if you want to make it more Thai, just add dragon chilli, extra tablespoon of ginger and 1 tbsp of fish sauce.

Directions:

1a. Cheater alert: If you have a food processor or blender, dump in everything except the meat and blend until smooth.
In a bowl, cover meat with marinade. I marinated the chicken strips in 10 minutes ONLY- then roll the chicken strips one by one and secure it with a skewer cut into short lengths or toothpick, in this way, it gets to hold the marinade+bits inside which makes it super flavorful, not to mention, juicy, perfect!
Put the chicken back into bowl, cover and marinate in the fridge for 30minutes to 1 hour. In the original recipe, you have to marinate the chicken for 2-12 hours, but I chose not to since the chicken breast is tender enough, and I don't want to overcook the meat with the acid from the lemon juice (it'll get super dry when cooked), as with the flavor, it's as flavorful as you would want it to be! =) Now on with the sauce!

Peanut Sauce
  • 3/4 cup coconut milk (6 oz or 180 mls)
  • 4 Tbsp peanut butter (2 oz or 60 mls)---I used Ladies Choice Sweet crunchy peanut butter- one with bits of peanuts for texture
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice (0.5 oz or 15 mls)
  • 1 Tbsp soy sauce (0.5 oz or 15 mls)
  • 1 tsp brown sugar (5 mls)---I didn't add this one as the peanut butter is sweet already but if you are going to use the peanut butter for cooking (without sugar) then add this.
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin (2.5 mls)
  • 1/2 tsp ground coriander (2.5 mls)
  • 1-2 dried red chilies, chopped (keep the seeds for heat)

Mix dry ingredients in a small bowl.

Add soy sauce and lemon, mix well.

Over low heat, combine coconut milk, peanut butter and your soy-lemon-seasoning mix. Stir often. When the peanut butter is melted, then it's done. Reheat if necessary.

Cooking Directions : 2 Methods

  1. Pan fry on medium-high for 3minutes on each side until it turns golden brown. - I opted for this method.

Make sure that your oil is not so hot and take off the bits of spices outside the meat to prevent from burning since the spices tend to cook faster than the meat. Don't worry, you still have those bits inside the rolled chicken strips.

OR

  1. Grill or Broil at 290C/550F--brush once with extra marinade when you flip the skewer.

Serve with the peanut sauce and have fun eating!

My sous chef was contantly bugging me the whole time, could not even concentrate on what I was doing. But obviously he is my sous chef/taste tester so I couldn't get rid of him and his verdict? He said "Lamia ani Mommie oi!" which means "This is yummy Mommie!" =)weeee




Visit The Daring Kitchen for the original recipe posted by Cuppy- you could also use some extra dip recipes for this dish!

ขอให้เจริญอาหาร! Mangaon ta! =)

8 comments:

Audax 14 January 2010 at 12:12  

Your presentation and sous chef are so delightful and great to hear you LOVED it so much it is a great Thai styled recipe and great for kids. WOnderful work on this challenge. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

iNg 14 January 2010 at 12:36  

halu...
glad to see you back with your bugoy. hehehe... it's great you have started the year with a dish. i haven't been updating my foodblog (i'm so sad). business kau akong beauty sa scrap. hehehe... but inig mahan-ay na ang tanan (hopefully by next month or so) i'll definitely start to post again. *crossing fingers and toes*
this is a nice dish. i wish i have a blender sad noh. hmmm... c hubby dli man ganahan mupalit, ambot ngano. i'll try this as soon mka-blender nko. hihihi...
good to see you back here.
ingat-ampling... :)

Confession Nook 14 January 2010 at 13:06  

Audax: Indeed, everyone loved it at home and definitely my sous chef, he ate half of it!. I will definitely make one again, and I am going to try that kangaroo meat! Geez..how am i going to find that here in PH..=D but i'll try!

Ing: hi! hehe ako pud..sobra ka tamad nako mag update mn ani akong foodblog..been busy with OL business too, tried the digiscrap but makalipong ang CS4 haha..Congrats with your business ha..kumikitang kabuhayan at the same time you are having fun! hehe=)
amping kanunay..God bless to you and your family!

♥peachkins♥ 14 January 2010 at 14:46  

Hi AC.welcome back! your satay looks delicious!

iNg 14 January 2010 at 18:24  

halu...

tnx for dropping by my p365 blog. hihihi...
you can start it too oi pra daghan nata. or pwede pud project52. 1 photo every week pra dli kau demanding sa busy beauty nmo. hihihi...
makaliping jud ang scrapbooking ug photoshop at fist but you'll get use to it.
ingat... :)

cuppy 14 January 2010 at 19:26  

Ooh, what a good idea to roll up the marinade inside the meat! I love how cute they look on their little skewers.

What a wonderful setup on that plate - and I'm so happy your little helper liked them, too!! :D

lucas 19 January 2010 at 05:13  

it looks really delicious. shame i can't taste it. besides bawal sakin because of my allergies. T_T

Angie 23 January 2010 at 02:10  

I love this plating and the recipe, looks so good.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP