Kulinarya September Challenge: Filipino-Spanish Dishes!

>> Saturday 18 September 2010

!Hola everyone!

I am here again and in case you were wondering where I was for the past 4 months since my last post, I was working with some paperworks to be with my husband and I am already with Mi Amore at this moment! oh love love...(hearts and kisses) wishing..wishing...my little man will be with us soon here too..=)

Moving on, for this September in KCC, I am proud and honored to be the co-host together with our special guest, Ziggy of myfilipinokitchen.com. The theme we have chosen for Kulinarya September is: Filipino-Spanish Dishes!
I have chosen Arroz caldo, which literally means "hot rice". Arroz is a spanish word which means rice and caldo means hot. It is similar to chinese congee which is also popular in the Philippines and have equally been made in various ways to suit the tastes of the us Filipinos. Arroz caldo is more closely related to risotto, due to its yellow hue from saffron and also by the large cuts of meat.

The usual Arroz caldo I grew up with is the native chicken Arroz caldo. Using native chicken meat gives a very rich flavor and the broth from it absolutely gives a very silky texture to the rice. Unfortunately, native chicken meat doesn't exist in Doha. =P


Beef Arroz Caldo
1/2 kl beef pieces cut into chunks (choose beef meat with good amount of marbling)
1 thumb-sized fresh finely chopped
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
10 cups water
1 beef buillon cube
salt to taste
2 cups-lightly packed, freshly-cooked Asian long grain rice (I used Jasmine rice) if you are in the Philippines- use 7-Tonner
few saffron threads (optional)

Top with:

crispy fried garlic
chopped chives/scallions
sliced boiled egg
deep-fried beef slices
fish sauce or salt and black pepper to taste

Combine first 6 ingredients. Boil until the meat is fork-tender. Add water if needed.

Remove the meat from the broth. Set aside. I fried a few pieces of meat for added texture to the whole dish. You may strain the stock/broth to another bowl if you want to get rid of the garlic and ginger.

Add freshly-cooked rice and saffron threads to the broth (about 5 cups of broth) and simmer gently until the rice becomes creamy, add water if the mixture becomes too thick. Turn off the heat. Stir in the cooked meat.

Serve topped with crispy-fried beef slices, sliced boiled egg, crispy-fried garlic, chopped scallions and fish sauce/salt & pepper to taste.

* That alternating slices of fried beef and yellow "stuff" is actually the boiled egg. So funny looking, but it actually tastes good though. =)

14 comments:

♥peachkins♥ 20 September 2010 at 01:18  

This is an all time favorite dish specially when its raining...

Trisha 20 September 2010 at 10:50  

I love Arroz Caldo but never beef only chicken. Oh, and native chicken definitely gives it a bit of a flavour boost :)

chef_d 20 September 2010 at 11:42  

Yummy looking beef arroz caldo, I have to try this recipe soon--getting bored of my version with spam :) I was wondering about the yellow stuff--thanks for the footnote.

Asha @ FSK 20 September 2010 at 15:50  

sounds like a fabulous idea.. we have a similar dish in Indian cuisine but it's vegetarian.. tho no harm in adding meat to it.. great dish

Congrats on things working out w.r.t you move and Good Luck1 :))

Unknown 20 September 2010 at 18:32  

Hmmmmm I never had it with beef. I can't wait to try this.

ing 21 September 2010 at 04:41  

congratulations ace!!! so proud of you.

Caroline 21 September 2010 at 09:51  

Glad to hear you've reunited with your love :) And good to know you can make arroz caldo with beef. Thanks for choosing this theme (even though I still haven't posted mine, oops.) :)

Olive 22 September 2010 at 07:05  

your arroz caldo looks so inviting,yum! This is so good on cold rainy days..

Cherrie Pie 25 September 2010 at 06:21  

Beef is a great alternative to chicken. I'll give this a go. Also, am glad to hear that your are with your love again :)

cusinera 26 September 2010 at 12:13  

Yum, I love arroz caldo! Everytime I go back to Phil. I always order a big bowl of it and pair it with tokwa't baboy...

Trissa 21 November 2010 at 09:59  

Oh my - I've never heard of beef arroz caldo - such a great twist on a classic dish. I love it - a definite must try.

PinayinTexas 11 August 2011 at 16:36  

Visiting from Kulinarya Cooking Club! :)

Anonymous,  22 September 2011 at 10:41  

Hello,

I am Erika from TravelerVoice, a new social network for travel bloggers.

Your recipes look very good! It's exactly the kind of writing we are looking for our Food section, please feel free to register :)

In the meantime I am running a contest to reward the most outstanding travel blogs on the web and I am still looking for new members :) so please check it out at http://www.travelervoice.com/contest.aspx for further details.

I am looking forward to hearing from you :)

Cheers,
Erika.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP