Chicken Tocino

>> Tuesday 23 June 2009

Talk about comfort food..this is absolutely one of them! 100% pure Filipino food and an all-time breakfast regular..TOCINO!


This is often made using thinly cut pork loin, cured for days and the outcome is that tart, sweet and delicious soft meat that will totally make you fall in love with (excuse, for vegetarians).

Big thanks to Manang Kim of At my Tabletop for the recipe. I am so excited as I have never been able to make home-made tocino. I have a few tocino mix packs but never made this delicious breakfast goody from scratch. So here it is..=)
Chicken Tocino
2 chicken breast meat thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic minced
2 tsp iodized salt
1 tsp ground pepper
1/2 c 7 Up/Sprite
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. lemon rind
1 tbsp brown sugar

Mixed the ingredients together and marinate for 4 days in the fridge (not the freezer) in a ziplock bag.
Tilt the bag each day so as to keep the meat evenly coated with the marinade.
Heat a little bit of oil and fry each side until brown and caramelized.
Ate this topped with chilli oil sauce with soy sauce and served with rice and sun-dried tomatoes.
Breakfast po tayo! (Let's have breakfast!)

9 comments:

♥peachkins♥ 24 June 2009 at 01:34  

TOCINO is my ultimate favorite! but it has to be RED..hahaha

Your chicken tocino looks yummy!

Kim, USA 24 June 2009 at 02:32  

Wow you made it!! First ang ganda naman nag presentation at saka ang pagkuha nang picture is perfect ang lighting pang magazine food cover hehe. Second, never na-try kong gumawa nang chicken tocino so pag-uwi ko sa US will made chicken tocino your version din. Third, diba mas maganda pag homemade kasi with love ang paggawas tapos walang halong mga ingredients na it's not familiar to us. Fourth, never tried na kumain nang dried tomato another food to explore -wink-.

Jen 24 June 2009 at 03:03  

Yum! I've never made homemade tocino before and this is inspiring me to make some one of these days. Thank you Acdee!

Confession Nook 24 June 2009 at 22:30  

Peachie: yah! hehehe that's not red indeed kasi i didn't put saltpeter..the chilli sauce made it a bit more orangy in color..

Manang Kim: hehehe..i so agree..no preservatives..healthy..ahh...sun-dried tomatoes is super delish!..thanks for the recipe!

Jen: try it! tastes a bit different than using tocino mix BUT yummy healthy different!

Kerslyn 25 June 2009 at 08:14  

looks so yummy! I never tried this before...ma-try nga. I make pork tocino but I use the instant mix.

Anyway, thanks for visiting my food blog. lagyan mo ng tubig pag magluto ka ng pork binagoongan. d ko nga ginigisa eh, hinahalo ko lahat ng ingredients hanggang sa mag-evaporate lahat ng water at magsimulang lumabas yung mantika from the pork. hope that helped.

Lory 30 June 2009 at 10:04  

I want to try this too!

Got to your blog from MaMely...lots of yummy recipes here that I see!

Xprosaic 10 July 2009 at 03:28  

Now that's Filipino food! jejejejeje... when I was younger I used to help my mom in preparing a home made of this both chicken and pork... but we prefer not to use MSG instead... Also when I was in high school we also tried to use beer and pineapple juice... it also taste good despite our hesitations... jijijijijijijiji... and by the way, I'm not a pro in sushi,I just tried it and it worked! jijijijiji... Tara kaon ta! jijijijiji

marica 13 July 2009 at 01:03  

Yummy!!!!!

i love tocino. thanks for sharing the recipe. will try this later :)

Confession Nook 13 July 2009 at 09:12  

Kerslyn: let me know how it goes..=) thanks for tip on pork binagoongan! =)

Manang: thanks! great blog you have..and lovely kitchen too!

IAX: yeah, i do post pinoyfood from time to time..of course nothing beats "sariling atin"..beer and pineapple sound like a good combi for tocino marinade..i'll try that soon..salamat sa pagduaw!

marica: thanks! let me know how it goes..=) kudos back to manang kim for sharing this recipe to me! =)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP